19th Sunday after Trinity – Sunday 11th October 2015
Where are the surprises?
Whose voices do we not hear?
What challenges us?
Surprises – do you agree with what I find surprising in the text?
- The doubt, the anger, the hopelessness Job feels is expressed. There’s no pretending ‘God will be always there for him’. God is ‘terrifying’ him.
- Job has this desire to bring God to account so that Job himself might be exonerated. Job is v brave!
- The utter desolation expressed because Job can’t find God in order to reason with him. I was surprised by how sad it was.
The voices we don’t hear – What might they say?
- We don’t hear what God is responding to Job. What might God say in reply?
- There’s a suggestion in v17 that Job wants to end his own life. What might the Samaritans say if he could ring them?
- People in the depths of despair can feel as if they are on their own totally. Would we understand Job if he came to our church?
What challenges us in 2015?
- What would we do to help Job?
- What would we say to encourage Job?
- Can we both express doubt and yet celebrate faith?