St Luke – Sunday 18th October 2015 – Isaiah 35:3-6
Where are the surprises?
Whose voices do we not hear?
What challenges us?
Surprises – do you agree with what I find surprising in the text?
- The sheer excitement and utter joy for all creation. Sadly, today except for v6, we only read the parts which involves humanity.
- That God is on our side – or at least the side of those oppressed. And he will come with ‘vengeance’ and ‘recompense’. It’s pay back time.
- Eyes, ears, speech and legs all healed. Physically healed – yes. But for me, I’d like all 4 to be spiritually healed so I can see, hear, speak and go where the Spirit is.
The voices we don’t hear – What might they say?
- History is about winners’ voices. But these verses are about losers’ voices.
- The waters and the streams almost have voices – they ‘break forth’.
- The tongue of the speechless sings – what? The magnificat?
What challenges us in 2015?
- What is the 2015 equivalent of people who are blind, deaf, speechless and lame? Hopeless, lonely, voiceless, oppressed?
- This day will not be good for oppressors – ‘terrible recompense’ will be served. It will be good to give examples when oppression is broken.
- ‘He will come and save you.’ Amen Lord, come quickly.