2nd Sunday before Advent – Sunday 15th November 2015 – Daniel 12:1-3
Normally I would look at this passage and think no, let’s use the Hebrews! But I’m going to have a go at these verses from Daniel – they are on theme.
Where are the surprises?
Whose voices do we not hear?
What challenges us?
Surprises – do you agree with what I find surprising in the text?
- I didn’t know that Archangel Michael is the ‘protector of your people.’ I presumed having a guardian angel was myth.
- This time of anguish. Sounds horrific
- That people who die become stars in the sky; again I presumed this was a recent myth adults tell children.
The voices we don’t hear – What might they say?
- I wonder if the people whose names are in ‘the book’ know they are.
- I wonder if the people whose names are not in ‘the book’ know this.
What challenges us in 2015?
- All apocalyptic literature is hard to hear when we live in times of consensus and liberality. Perhaps we need to start with some background information.
- It frightens me to think that a time of anguish might be around the corner. Perhaps the repetition of the phrase ‘at that time’ assures us that there will be God’s help at the right moment.
- The reassurance in any hard times v1 we have Archangel Michael on our side