Celebration of the Queen’s 90th Birthday – Sunday 12th June 2016 –Matthew 22:15-22.
At the start of the ‘Trinity’ season, I’m asking about the different persons of the trinity knowing that they are one God.
This Gospel was proclaimed at our Queen’s Coronation and it seems right to have this reading on Sunday.
From this passage:
what have I learnt about God the Father?
what insights have I about God the Son?
what inspiration may I gain from God the Holy Spirit
1. what have I learnt about God the Father?
- God gets 1st call on our loyalty, our devotion and our money.
- Jesus is known as someone who teaches ‘the way of God with truth’. John (4:24) tells us often that we can only worship in spirit and in truth
- Everything belongs to God so what can we give him?
2. what insights have I about God the Son?
- Jesus is known as someone who is ‘sincere’ and teaches with ‘truth’ and doesn’t show ‘partiality’ to anybody.
- Jesus ‘amazed’ them. His quick thinking and wise answers are surprising.
- Jesus is utterly challenging. What are the Pharisees doing sending their disciples and the Herodians?
3. what inspiration may I gain from God the Holy Spirit
- Jesus defeats their plotting and their wishing to entrap. Jesus is ‘aware of their malice’. May we know what’s behind the questions we get asked. And be able to respond appropriately.
- It feels like a tough call to be able to see clearly what belongs to the ‘Emperor’ and what belongs to ‘God’. We need the Spirit’s guidance and courage.
- How has our Queen given to God and not to power?