5th Sunday after Trinity – Sunday 26th June 2016 –Luke 9:51-end.
At the start of the ‘Trinity’ season, I’m asking about the different persons of the trinity knowing that they are indeed one God.
From this passage:
what have I learnt about God the Father?
what insights have I about God the Son?
what inspiration may I gain from God the Holy Spirit
1. what have I learnt about God the Father?
- The Kingdom of God is forward looking. v62 There is an urgency, a single minded dedication to its cause.
- God the Father does not command fire to come and destroy this village.
- God can see through our excuses, our ‘but’s.
2. what insights have I about God the Son?
- Jesus has a forwarding party to prepare for his coming. This journey to Jerusalem is organised.
- He’s ‘on the ball’ to rebuke James and John for their wrong thinking.
- Jesus seems to be ‘on a mission’. Ready, urgent, giving snap answers, giving short commands. Woffle has disappeared.
3. what inspiration may I gain from God the Holy Spirit
- Is setting his face to go to Jerusalem an act of will or is he being pulled there by the Spirit? Is the Spirit acting like a magnet? v51
- How is Jesus coping with the days drawing near to be taken up? How is he sleeping at night? v51
- How is Jesus not getting distracted by others’ needs and wants?