12th Sunday after Trinity – Sunday 14th August 2016 –Luke 12:49-56.
At the start of the ‘Trinity’ season, I’m asking about the different persons of the trinity knowing that they are indeed one God.
From this passage:
what have I learnt about God the Father?
what insights have I about God the Son?
what inspiration may I gain from God the Holy Spirit
1. what have I learnt about God the Father?
- Do you think Jesus is ready to spend time with his Father? He’s getting very irritated and stressed.
- Our weather forecasting has become even more accurate and we still can’t interpret the present time. God the Father help us.
- Jesus calls the people who can interpret weather signs but not what’s in front of them ‘hypocrites’. Lord send our arrogance away.
2. what insights have I about God the Son?
- Jesus gets stressed! v50
- I wonder why Jesus chose ‘five in one household’ And why only intergenerational division?
- Jesus brings division. That’s not a popular rallying call. Heal our divisions our faith has brought.
3. what inspiration may I gain from God the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit comes in ‘tongues of fire’ after Jesus has died and been resurrected. The dying needs to come first. Jesus you will have to wait.
- Luke 3 v 16 “John answered them all, ‘I baptise you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire.’” This ‘fire in our belly’ will come. It will drive us to go to the ends of the earth to preach the Gospel.
- This interpretation of the present times – again a gift of the Holy Spirit. There is a certain annoyance that the people are refusing to do this. The prophets amongst us need to be encouraged and heard.